General
Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan ceasefire ends border clashes that killed 49 people
Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan have agreed to what they call a complete ceasefire after reports of fresh shooting and troop build-ups in the aftermath of border clashes earlier this week that killed 49 people.
Key points:
- The presidents of the two countries said the fighting should “never happen again”
- Clashes broke out over a disagreement about a reservoir and pump
- Russia has urged the two countries to stick to the ceasefire
The heads of the countries’ state security bodies announced the agreement in a joint briefing in Kyrgyzstan hours after Kyrgyzstan’s border guard service said Tajik troops opened fire on Kyrgyz vehicles on their side of the border.
The presidents of the two Central Asian nations also spoke on the phone on Saturday to…
-
General22 hours agoToni Lamond, known for her roles in Annie Get Your Gun and My Fair Lady, dies aged 93
-
General23 hours agoPolice continue search for missing man Chris Thorne in Melbourne’s west
-
General23 hours agoPauline Hanson proves we have a two-tier senate
-
Business12 hours agoWhere to invest $10,000 in ASX ETFs this December
